[birdky] Re: Hummers

  • From: Mark Monroe <markmonroe1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 09:34:40 -0400

Most people will see their last Ruby-throateds here in Kentucky
somewhere around October 15.  There are always some stragglers that
are reported up until the first week of November though.   However, it
is a myth that leaving feeders up can cause birds to stay too long and
in fact keeping up a feeder year round greatly increases one's chances
of hosting a rare hummingbird, such as a Rufous.

Personally, I recommend keeping one year round, but if someone chooses
to do so, they have to be prepared to keep it from freezing in the
winter if they do host a wintering bird.  If this isn't for you, then
sometime between October 15 and Nov 1 should be late enough to give
most of the late stragglers a boost on their way south.  It should be
readily apparent if you don't have a bird regularly coming in by then
with only brief visits from late migrants.  Any hummingbird seen after
November 1 should be closely looked at as the odds of it being
something other than Ruby-throated go up greatly.

As for the dark throat of your friend's bird, that is an optical
illusion.  The 'ruby' throat is a structural color (not a true
pigment) that can only be seen in the proper lighting.  It appears
black when it isn't.

Mark

Mark Monroe
Louisville, KY