[birdky] Great Weekend

  • From: Barbara Dickison <ba.dickison@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Birdky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 12:58:50 -0400

Well, this is going to be a long post, so fair warning.

As I started my usual morning walk on Friday the 4th, I decided that I
would see how many species of birds I could see in my usual birding areas.
 My plan was to bird only in the morning and the areas would be my farm,
Airport Road, Menzies Bottom Road, Hay Station Road and Monroe Road.  I'm
sure more species could have been ID'ed had there been someone with me, but
as it was I still saw 61 species total for Friday through Sunday mornings.
 Notable misses were the bald eagles nesting close to Menzies Bottom, the
green heron on Airport Rd and more raptors in general.  There was a lot of
activity with families out with their fledglings of various maturity
stages. Among the most active were Brown Trashers, Baltimore orioles,
Eastern bluebirds, Eastern King birds, blue grosbeaks, Indigo buntings and
the yellow billed cuckoos were busy feeding their young.  I was fortunate
to locate one of the cuckoo's nest on Menzies Bottom Rd and a Baltimore
oriole's nest on my farm.

Habitats were: riparian, mature woods, immature woods, thick undergrowth,
and meadows/pastures.

So, here is the list.  I was surprised at a few on my finds, but I cross
referenced every resource and song source that I have - including the
Annotated Checklist of the Birds of Kentucky.

Birds noted on the 4th
Robin
Wood thrush
Eastern bluebird
Carolina wren
House wren
Carolina chickadee
Blue grosbeak
Indigo bunting
Yellow billed cuckoo
Mockingbird
Brown trasher
Gray catbird
Common grackle
Red winged blackbird
American crow
Turkey vulture
Wild turkey
Eastern phoebe
Cardinal
Mourning dove
Barn swallow
Tree swallow
House finch
Gold finch
House sparrow
Field sparrow
Chipping sparrow
Song sparrow
Common yellowthroat warbler
Yellow breasted chat
Red bellied woodpecker
Northern flicker
Tufted titmouse
Blue jay
Eastern kingbird
Eastern meadowlark
Starling
Red eyed vireo
Eastern pewee
Brown headed cowbird
Eastern towhee
Baltimore oriole
Orchard oriole
Chimney swift

Additional species on the 5th
White breasted nuthatch
White eyed vireo
Pileated woodpecker
Downy woodpecker
Prairie warbler
Worm eating warbler
Bobwhite quail

Additional species on the 6th
Wood duck
Great blue heron
Mallard
Scarlet tanager
Kentucky warbler
Hooded warbler
Cerulean warbler
Red headed woodpecker
Red tail hawk
Rock pigeon

Sorry this was so long - but I really enjoyed myself this weekend.  Hope
everyone had a great weekend as well.

Barb Dickison
Pendleton County