[birdky] Golden probably a juvi Bald Eagle

  • From: Tina Nauman <tinanauman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY Freelists <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, ASK Freelists <ask@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 17:38:16 -0400

Brainard gave me the following information that I found helpful in figuring
out we probably saw a current year juvi Bald Eagle rather than the highly
unlikely Golden Eagle. I wandered the area today by car and spoke with an
employee at the Camp Nelson camp ground who said they have seen an adult
Bald Eagle in the area this summer (and past summers) and believe there is
a nest in the vicinity which also makes the juvi Bald Eagle likely.

"Juvenile Bald Eagles hatched this year wouldn't have any really noticeable
white in the tail. I have to think that your perception of a "neat" or
"clean" bird would more match a juv. Bald with all fresh feathers this time
of year rather than an adult Golden, which might appear more mottly this
time of year due to body feathers of several age classes."

Tina Nauman
Lexington, KY