[birdky] GBBC and Unusual Bird

  • From: "Howell, Jesse D" <jessehowell@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2011 21:04:17 -0500

Hello all. This is my first post to the list. I have been reading your posts
for a couple of years now and thought it was about time to say howdy. I am a
high school biology teacher at P.L. Dunbar High in Lexington, KY. I led a few
students and fellow teachers in a GBBC yesterday with some decent results.
Dunbar is an interesting place to bird as it is in extreme southern Fayette
County near the Jessamine County line. It is surrounded by cattle farms on two
sides, a horse farm on one side, and Man O' War Boulevard on the other with a
nice, healthy stream running through the back of the property. I often see both
accipiters and buteos, as well as the occassional king fisher on the property.
The highlights of this trip would probably be the killdeer and black vultures
but you can see the rest below.
Also, I wanted to ask your opinion about an interesting bird I observed in my
back yard today. Its colors match those of a snow bunting but its size, beak
shape, and markings don't correlate as well. It appeared to be being
chased/courted by a male house finch. This link is a flickr page I set up with
a couple of photographs. Unfortunately, my camera died right when I was zooming
in for a better shot. http://www.flickr.com/photos/kentucky_howl/
I'd love your opinions for what you think this bird is. Below is the Dunbar
list. I think the best part of the GBBC at Dunbar was getting those kids out
there observing birds. I think one of them put it best when I asked if they
were having fun, they said that they were and added, "Before today, I thought
all birds were just birds." So I'd say overall it was a success. Cheers

Location:     Dunbar High School
Observation date:     2/18/11
Notes:     GBBC
Number of species:     15