[birdky] Re: Fwd: [bcbirdclub] Death by Drowning

  • From: "Scott Freidhof" <sialia67@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Birdky'" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 11:17:40 -0500

I don't think the ibis drowned.  Looked like the Peregrine severed the neck
vertebrae or punctured the ibis' skull with its beak on at least two
occasions right before the ibis' body went limp under water.

I watched a similar scenario between a Cooper's hawk and drake wood duck.
The duck dragged the hawk into the water.  The hawk dragged the duck back
onto land and killed it with a quick clip of the neck.