[birdky] Falls of the Ohio

  • From: Karen Bonsell <timforpres@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 20:55:20 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all! I stopped by The Clark Cabin site, to check on the nests! (I can't
stand not to get by there at least every few days!)
I'm pretty sure I saw both Eagles! That's always good news!
I still am only seeing one Osprey! He was sitting in a tree over on
Shippingport, down by the Anglers foot path. He  was there when I got there and
stayed there about a half hour. Then he went back to work, collecting branches.
I'm hoping that the cold snap is the reason his mate hasn't arrived yet. It
seems to me like she should be here by now! Otherwise, at the Clark Cabin a lot
of the usuals, Cardinals, Mourning doves, Tons of Robins, and of course the
Cormorants. There were more gulls down there than I usually see. (sorry, don't
know the type, I'm assuming Ring billed, but I'm not so good at the gulls yet)!
There were 2 things I don't usually see there,
1 Brown Creeper was hanging out on the trees right by the picnic table, he
allowed me to get several pictures! Thanks Mr. Creeper!
Here are links to pics of him:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14653045@N00/5578184861/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14653045@N00/5578769624/

This one, I'm not sure about, I thought it was maybe a warbler. He was all
ruffled up, but he had black around his eyes, like a common yellowthroat, but I
realized he doesn't have much yellow on him a all! Any thoughts?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14653045@N00/5578184747/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14653045@N00/5578184831/

After leaving there, I went over to Shippingport Island for just a few minutes.
I was wondering, did the Blue Heron Rookery on Shippingport, include Goose
Island?  While I was looking at Osprey and Eagles, I noticed quite a few Herons
standing in the trees on Goose Island, I don't remember it being like that last
year! I  may just not have noticed it before, because the sun was shining just
right on that area, so they were very noticeable!

Here are pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14653045@N00/5578226375/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14653045@N00/5578811406/

Sorry, so long! But a pretty good trip, I thought!!

Karen Bonsell
Louisville, KY