[birdky] Falls of the Ohio

  • From: cbirding@xxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 20:32:09 -0400

Location:???? Falls of the Ohio (KY)
Observation date:???? 9/23/09
Notes:???? I was joined by Larry Peavler shortly after having arrived at the
Falls. A good thing, as he readily identified the plover I had seen earlier but
could not ID without my Sibley's. Larry and I found zero birds on Wave Rock,
but
did hear a Greater Yellowlegs calling. Larry left after ~1 hour. A single adult
Bald Eagle made a great entrance, moving a lot of large birds around. Less I
forget, the Red-necked Phalarope was still present but unimpressed and
continued
swimming (thanks for posting Eddie/Brainard).?Only once did the phalarope leave
the water and stand at the edge of
the pool for a short time. It is still where first reported, across from the
interpretive center observation deck in the large pool on the upper fossil reef.
Number of species:???? 17

Wood Duck???? 5
Mallard???? 27
Double-crested Cormorant???? 17