[birdky] Falls of the Ohio

  • From: Gary Dorman <cowboybirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRD KY <BIRDKY@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 03:52:36 -0700 (PDT)

Becky and I birded the Falls with Tom and Colleen Becker yesterday evening.  It
was a wonderful evening to be out and we stayed after sunset for a little
planet watching(Jupiter with 4 moons, Venus and possibly Saturn).  We were able
to share the scopes with a couple from Indianapolis, who had come down to see
the fossil beds, and show them many of the shorebirds.  Several people were
able to get looks at Jupiter and its moons.  One woman, when looking at our
moon through a scope for the first time, exclaimed "wow".
It is always exciting to share the wonders of creation with others.  If you
have not done so lately take someone birding with you and discover the joy of
sharing that which you have come to know and love.

Shore bird numbers were good, our sightings are as follows:

Canada Goose - ~20
Mallard
Blue-winged Teal
Double-crested Cormorant - 39 - 1 flock in flight
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Snowy Egret - 1 juv.
Black-crowned Night-Heron - many uncounted
Black Vulture - 4
Turkey Vulture
Semipalmated Plover - 1
Killdeer - numerous
Lesser Yellowlegs - 1
Sanderling - 3 juv.
Semipalmated Sandpiper - 2 probably more
Whit-rumped Sandpiper - 2 possibly 3
Pectoral Sandpiper - 1
Stilt Sandpiper - 4
Buff-breasted Sandpiper - 1
Dowitcher sp. - 1 with and chasing the Stilt Sandpipers
Caspian Tern - 7

Michael Autin - 1 basic plumage

Michael reported 1 Baird's Sandpiper

We had many unidentified peeps