[birdky] Re: Dickcissels & Kestrels

  • From: "Debby & Steve Tyson" <tyson9152@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <kistlers@xxxxxxxxx>, <lindacraiger@xxxxxxxxxxx>, <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jul 2011 09:58:03 -0500

Steve,

I too have noticed many more Dickcissels this year, here in south Logan Co.
(SW of Hart).  On a typical year I'd occasionally hear one or two of them
singing along my morning running route.  This year, I've heard MANY more and
in different locations.  I can't say that the local habitat has changed for
the better though.  With minor exceptions, our local farmers continue their
onslaught on anything green that does not fit in with their clean
monoculture crop management.  Fence rows (if allowed to remain at all) are
regularly cleaned out and farm-field sink holes, with their important brush
and tree habitat, are bulldozed, filled in and planted.  Field edge grasses
are regularly mowed, which looks great and probably makes most of their
neighbors happy...but would be more of a benefit to wildlife if left
alone...

Bobwhite numbers seem to be up around the house, where we've carefully
managed for them.  Our Blue Grosbeak and Grasshopper Sparrow numbers seem
constant over the last several years, though I have noticed recently that a
pair of Grosbeaks appear to be nesting in our dry-pond brush.

S. Tyson, Schochoh, Logan Co.