[birdky] Re: Cranes

  • From: "sk" <kistlers@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jtdurb@xxxxxxxxx>, <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2014 17:48:00 -0600

We drove through the area west of Cecilia this afternoon; there were plenty
of cranes, but nowhere near peak numbers. There were constant flocks in the
air; our conservative estimate of the birds we saw would be about 1,000, but
there could have been many more. No big white ones.

If anyone wants to see sandhills up close and personal on the ground, there
is a bright red firehouse a couple of miles west of Cecilia on Hwy 86
(Delorme, p. 48, E3). It has a good-sized gravel lot where you can pull over
and be out of their way. Today there were cranes feeding within a hundred
feet.

Steve and Janet Kistler

Hart Co. KY