[birdky] Crane Hunt Opposition

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2011 20:03:10 -0700 (PDT)

I assume everyone saw Linda Craiger's post regarding the unanimous vote by the
Ky Wildlife commissioners to approve the crane hunt, thank you for posting
Linda.

The process is not over with and the hunt plan will be filed with legislators
on June 15.  It's important to voice your opposition now by writing to Governor
Beshear and the Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet Secretary, Marcheta
Sparrow.

If you believe the cranes are more valuable as a wildlife-watching resource
than as a game bird, tell them.  If you feel that the Kentucky Department of
Fish and Wildlife Resources (KDFWR) should have followed the International
Crane Foundation's recommendation of delaying the hunt for 2-3 years, tell
them.  If you feel that Kentucky being the first to hunt the eastern population
of Sandhill Cranes in nearly a century does not cast the Commonwealth in a
favorable light, be sure and tell them.

If you threatened to withdraw your support from KDFWR if the hunt was approved,
do it; I am, and tell the Governor and Secretary Sparrow that you are.  If you
reside in another state and will boycott Kentucky by not spending money here,
tell them.  They need to be aware of the magnitude of opposition.  Their
contact information is copied below.

Governor Beshear online contact link here:
http://www.governor.ky.gov/contact/contact.htm

Mailing address:
Governor Steve Beshear
700 Capitol Avenue, Suite 100
Frankfort, Kentucky 40601

Secretary Sparrow email address here:
Marcheta.Sparrow@xxxxxx

Online contact for her office here:
http://commerce.ky.gov/officesecretary/contact.htm

Mailing address and phone number:

Marcheta Sparrow
Kentucky Tourism, Arts and Heritage Cabinet
Office of the Secretary
24th Floor, Capital Plaza Tower
500 Mero Street
Frankfort, Kentucky  40601
(502) 564-4270

Additional contact information here:
http://kyc4sandhillcranes.wordpress.com/call-to-action/

More info on the cranes and proposed hunt here:
http://kyc4sandhillcranes.wordpress.com/

Whether you reside in Kentucky or another state, please send letter/emails and
phone calls expressing your opposition and urge others to do the same.  We
still have work to do.

David Roemer
Bowling Green