[birdky] Count week birds

    For the first day of Olmstead count week I began noting the birds on my
place and some adjoining grain fields. Like Mark, I too just saw the usual mix,
but I couldn't tell that any birds I saw seemed woeful about being commonplace.
The shrike may have been a little woeful, since it is missing its mate.
    In grain fields adjoining my farm I saw most of our usual grain field birds
- horned larks, pipits, lapland longspurs, killdeer, starlings, doves, and a
flicker. Didn't see any icterids.
    On my place - savannah sparrows, white-crowned, white-throated, & song
sparrows, meadowlarks and other regulars.
    A harrier coursed over my clover field and a phoebe hunted water bugs by
the pond.
Frank Lyne frank@xxxxxxxxxxx near Dot in Logan County