[birdky] Campbell Co. Spotted Sandpipers continue

  • From: frankrenfrow@xxxxxxx
  • To: birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 21:59:10 -0400

The pair of Spotted Sandpipers?at the marina area?in?Dayton, KY continue to
exhibit signs of nesting in progress. Today I could?see what appeared to be
a?brood patch on the lower breast of one. Also,?they continue to go in and out
of the same areas of vegetation, and at one point engaged in a little courtship
dance and feeding.

The massive?Manhattan Harbour project?that has bulldozed?almost 2 miles of
riverfront seems to be stalled, but has temporarily left some good shorebird
habitat, including several shallow water-filled?scrapes of a half acre or so,
which the spotties are frequenting. A pile of rubble with bent rebar sticking
out is serving as a nursery for several species of swallows. Perched on the
rebars last week were fledgling Tree Swallows, today there were fledgling
Rough-winged Swallows in there place. The Bank Swallow colony at the marina?is
still going strong (40-50 seen today) as is the Cliff Swallow colony on the
I-471 bridge in Newport (30-40 seen today). Also present at the marina area
were 2 Eastern Kingbirds, 2 Willow Flycatshers and 3 Yellow Warblers.

Frank Renfrow
Fort Thomas, KY