[birdky] Broad-winged Hawk

  • From: "Lyneart" <lyneart@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 15:45:56 -0500

Alison and I walked the trails at the Baker Natural Area in Russellville early
this afternoon. This recently opened natural area has an abundant variety of
prairie vegetation and is great for a wild flower walk. Pale Purple Coneflower,
Purple Prairie Clover and Pencil Flower are some of the  species that are in
bloom now. We weren't expecting to see any out of the ordinary birds, but I
carried my binoculars, just in case. We were almost full circle when I saw a
hawk soaring overhead. From its light undersides, I was expecting Red-tailed
hawk, then it turned and exposed two wide tail bands, a white one and a black
one on the end. It was a Broad-winged Hawk, a life lister for me. A great end
to a great walk.
Frank Lyne frank@xxxxxxxxxxx near Dot in Logan County