[birdky] Barren Jaegers 12 September 2011

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 13:08:44 -0700 (PDT)

Both jaegers remain on Barren Reservoir.  They have been moving from Bailey's
Point campground to the Goose Island/Narrows cut-through area and spending
considerable amounts of time resting on the water.  Either Bailey's
campground/boat ramp or Peninsula parking lot would be best sites if searching
from the bank.

A boat is a big help in locating and getting good looks at the birds.  Tom
Durbin and I sat quietly with them in the middle of the lake for a long time
this morning.  The Parasitic came so close to the boat that I had to go to the
close-focus setting on my camera lens, about 9', as I photographed it
preening.  The boaters on Barren may be the first humans these birds have
seen.  The Long-tailed still has some down feathers on its forehead.

David Roemer
Bowling Green