[birdky] Banded Sandhill Cranes--Observations needed

  • From: John Brunjes <john.brunjes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BIRDKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Oct 2009 12:05:54 -0400

One more note about cranes:

As populations of eastern Sandhill Cranes continue to expand, more and
more research and banding interest is being directed at these birds.
The result is that there is many more color marked birds in the
population.  I received the request for observations below.  I’m sure
the researchers would appreciate any observations of marked cranes you
can provide.

John

Everyone:

As we are about to embark on the fall crane survey, coordinated by the
USFWS, I thought that it would be useful to remind you that there are
a growing number of auxiliary-marked (i.e. color-banded) cranes out
there.  If you or your colleagues see banded birds you can go to
www.bandedcranes.org to find out who might have banded the bird that
was seen and find out how to submit your sightings.  If we get
observations of color-marked birds from anyone we will do our best to
link them up with the growing number of banders who are out there.
The banders will, in turn, be happy to respond with some detail of
what individual bird might have been seen and it's history.  If you
have any questions or comments please give me a holler or write.

Thanks much for your consideration and have fun counting.

Sincerely yours,

Jeb Barzen
Director of Field Ecology

International Crane Foundation
Visit our website! www.savingcranes.org

"Working worldwide to conserve cranes and the wetland, grassland, and
other ecosystems upon which they depend."

John H. Brunjes, Ph.D.
Migratory Bird Program
Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources
#1 Sportsman's Lane - Wildlife Annex
Frankfort, KY 40601
800-858-1549  Ext. 4500
email: john.brunjes@xxxxxx

Did you know...   Hunting, fishing, boating and wildlife watching fund
60,000 Kentucky jobs?

This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity
to which it is addressed and may contain information that is
privileged, confidential, and exempt from disclosure. If the reader of
the message is not the intended recipient or an employee or agent
responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying
of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received
this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone
(800) 858-1549 ext 4500 and destroy the original.  Thank you.