[birdky] [BKY]-RPT: aggressive hawk

I saw something pretty strange today.
There is a cedar tree in my hedgerow that is about 10' tall and about 3' wide
(not the strange part).

While I was looking out my back window, I saw an accipiter (probably a sharpie)
land on one of my bird boxes. I grabbed my bins to get a closer look, but by
the time I got to the window, the hawk took off and flew toward the tree. From
about 3' above the tree, the hawk dove straight down into the branches of the
tree and disappeared. Presumably, the tree was full of small birds, and the
hawk was after them. I focused on the tree, and noticed the branches
moving--the hawk was working its way down through the middle of the tree. It
eventually popped out about 3' above the base of the tree and landed on the
ground out of sight. I didn't see it again, so I don't know if it caught
anything or not. I've never seen a hawk "climb" down a tree like this
before--it was quite a sight!

Gerald H. Robe
Mt. Sterling, KY
ghrobe@xxxxxxxxx