[birdky] ADDENDUM TO PHOTO QUIZ

  • From: "Palmer-Ball, Brainard (EEC)" <Brainard.Palmer-Ball@xxxxxx>
  • To: "BIRDKY" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 10:38:59 -0500

Oops ... I've already had someone ask me why this was not a Ferruginous
Hawk ... it slipped my mind to include an "elimination of other species"
portion of the solution!

While this bird superficially looks like a light morph Ferruginous Hawk
in the initially posted photo, several subtle aspects to the bird's
structure and plumage don't "scream" Ferrug, and while not really
visible, the primaries look like they are going to end up not extending
near as far as the tail tip (Ferrugs have long wings). However, the
*best* clue that the bird is not a Ferruginous Hawk is the unfeathered
legs on the bird in the photo (Ferrugs have feathered legs).

In the more recently posted photos, the dark "patagial" mark on the
leading edge of the underside of the wings (a distinctive mark on
Red-tailed Hawks), is clearly visible on the two photos showing the
underside of the wing.

Albinism might be another possibility with this individual, but all of
the paleness associated with the bird appears in classic areas and
patterns to be consistent with the Krider's morph Red-tailed Hawk.

bpb, Louisville