[bikeshed] Fwd: Qemu Memory issue

  • From: "WALTER LITWINCZYK (RIT Student)" <wtl4112@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bikeshed@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 22:57:41 -0400

Forgot to include bikeshed

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: WALTER LITWINCZYK (RIT Student) <wtl4112@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, May 23, 2012 at 10:57 PM
Subject: Re: Qemu Memory issue
To: Christopher Hossenlopp <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Well, the only good way to test message passing right now is to comment out
the desktop thread in the system.c so it doesn't run. That way you can see
the old video buffer.

As a note: all the programs in applications/ don't work, they don't even
get built. They are replaced by user_programs/. I want to move everything
over from the applications/ folder to the user_programs/ folder, but we're
missing a few things before I can do that.

So back to the main point. To test message passing I would create two new
user programs inside user_programs/ and call the system calls. Upon
receiving the message you can write to 0xB8000 like the welcome/ process or
the init/ process. That way you can see if things worked.

Once we get a better way to interact with the GUI that'll change and we can
have our pretty GUI and windows and other stuff.

Steps for creating a new user program:
1.) Create a new folder in user_programs/
2.) Copy one of the existing Makefiles from either init/ or welcome/
3.) Modify the Makefile for your program
4.) Modify the user_programs/Makefile and add your programs folder to it
5.) In Bikeshed/build/debugfs_commands.debugfs add your executable to the
script so it's on the ramdisk