[bigbangrobotics] BattleBeach 4 Event report

  • From: Jay Johnson <tallyjay@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Free List <bigbangrobotics@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 05:14:17 -0700 (PDT)

BattleBeach 4 Trip Report
April 8-9, 2006
Our 4th trip to BattleBeach proved to be the charm as
our newest robot, ?BrainStorm?, came away with 1st
place and a nice trophy in its first competition.  The
event was held at the Volusia County Fairgrounds this
year, near Deland, Florida.  There were just over 60
robots registered for the competition and though most
of the competitors were from the Southeastern US we
also had competitors come from as far away as Canada,
California, and Oregon.

The middleweight class (120 pounds) was small, but
fierce for this event.  BrainStorm started out strong,
KO?ing our first opponent, ?Lionheart?, by tearing
into his side and exploding his main power switch.  In
our second match we ripped two tires off IceCube and
flipped him around the arena several times, but a
drive train issue hampered us and we ended up stuck on
the arena wall, unable to climb off.  We would
continue to have drive train issues throughout the
competition, as the set screws holding spur gears on
our drive motors proved unreliable.  Fortunately the
unrelenting power of our 15 pound titanium bar
spinning at 4000 rpm wreaked enough havoc on our
opponents for us to pull off two more back-to-back
wins and come away with the #1 spot in the
middleweight class.

There should be some good free video from this event
available soon; we?ll send out links to the videos as
they become available.

Jay and Valerie
Big Bang Robotics

Thanks to our sponsors for providing many of the parts
to make BrainStorm possible:
Fenner Drives
Rapid Response Products
We hope you enjoy our occasional updates but if you
wish to be removed from this mailing list, just send
an email to bigbangrobotics-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx and
put "unsubscribe" (without the quotes) in the Subject
line of the email.  Thanks!