[betterwayfarm] Fwd: betterway cohousing

  • From: Kip and Beth Gardner <kipandbeth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: betterwayfarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 22:30:29 -0400

Begin forwarded message:

From: "Paul Hilts" <paul.hilts@xxxxxxxx>
Date: July 2, 2009 4:51:17 PM EDT
To: kipandbeth@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: betterway cohousing

Hello,

I found your webpage about Betterway Cohousing at cohousing.org. My wife and I are in our mid-30's and have two boys age 7 and 8. We currently reside in Brooklyn (suburb of Cleveland). We first heard about Peak Oil in 2006 and have been steadily making plans for our move to a sustainable rural life since then. We are completely debt free, having paid off our house this past spring. We were ready to move south to Virginia or North Carolina this summer but then the economy collapsed; I couldn't find a job down south, and no one is able to buy our house, so we've decided to stay in Cleveland one more year. I have a very high paying job that seems to be impervious to the sagging economy, and my wife and I have been thinking that with Peak Oil looming in the next few years, it might not be a bad idea to keep the job I have and look for farming/cohousing opportunities here in NEO. Wooster would be 60 minutes from my job in Cleveland, about the maximum limit I could do. Over the past 2 years, I've read several of Joel Salatin's books on Management Intensive Grazing and would love to get into the Beyond-Organic beef and chicken business over the next few years. So that's my story in a nutshell.

Since it seems like we're kinda on the same page about some things, I wanted to connect with you and see where you are in the cohousing/ farm process. Maybe I could attend one of your planning meetings this summer?

-paul

Paul Hilts
paul.hilts@xxxxxxxx