[beleriand] Re: theme vote

  • From: Jon Bender <jbender@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: beleriand@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 01:58:42 -0500

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 09:58:37PM -0800, Julia Green wrote:
> I'm still very much gung-ho on the 1st age theme (btw, www.thefirstage.com is
> an available domain address), but I'd like to explore the possibility of a
> homemade theme as well.  I haven't read the Black company books, but I guess
> I can go get one from the library (Kevin please recommend the best one, based
> on what you know of my predilections) and read it on the bus and whatnot.

yeah, same here.  he's been trying to convince me to go this
way since he sent the mail out, but I need to read the
books.  The main things thats stopping me from liking the
idea is the fact that I dunno anything about them and that
it doesn't seem like the worlds are very defined.  That
could be a good thing though, as Draug has been telling me
over and over :P

> Basing the mud on some other series isn't something I'd be really into,
> unless it was Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast trilogy, which I adore, but I think
> someone may have tried that already.  Anyway, at least go read the first book
> Titus Groan.  I predict that Jon likes it better than Kevin does, and that
> Craig may like it best of all, but I could be wrong.  Anyway, the
> descriptions are the kind you get lost in - they either hypnotize you or make
> you yawn.  If it's the former, you can really vividly imagine the mansion and
> daily life inside....

I can think of a few other worlds that could be interesting,
such as the sparhawk universe, feist's kondor stuff (without
the ability to cross between worlds, that would be too
much:P (although it would be cool for a mmorpg...)), eddings
stuff with belgarion, polgara, etc.. :P

> As for some homemade theme, I'm partial to a Tolkienish/D&D sort of thang,
> but that's so overdone.  I'd rather do something more original.  Settings
> that appeal to me are ancient Greece, post-Roman and medieval England, 19th
> century France (especially Paris and all those crazy artists/poets), and high
> Aztec and Inca cultures.  Outer space is also a major turn-on.

The ideal theme for me would be something similar to the
Forgotten Realms.  Huge, very diversified kingdoms, lots of
room for expansion, possible for players to carve out their
own kingdoms.

> One of the things I want out MUD to have is a really well-thought out magic
> system if we have wizards.  One thing that I think is really lacking in T2T
> is the ability to specialize in a particular discipline of magic.  If we do
> something non-Tolkienish, I really want to make a lot of psionic type spells.
>  Alright now I'm babbling, but my votes are:
A good magic system is definitely a must for me, obviously :)
Ranelen Mithroch was originally a CE red wizard, back
when I played ad&d on efnet :p

> 1) 1st age Arda but discuss homemade theme ideas
> 2) some other book?  blah, I want my Sons of Feanor clans :p

  You just had to say sons of feanor, didn't you? :)  The
only reason I'm reluctant to do the first age is because we
can't really mess with the theme that much.  I don't want to
be stuck in a world that never changes, you know? :)

  One thing I'd like to be able to do, regardless of what
theme we end up with, is allow time to flow, let the
player's help evolve the storyline.  Thats how I think we
should differentiate ourselves from the rest of the world.
With stories. :)

Someone tell eol to check his mail, dammit :P

--
|jbender@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|