[beleriand] theme vote

  • From: "Julia Green" <jagreen@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "beler" <beleriand@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 21:58:37 -0800

I'm still very much gung-ho on the 1st age theme (btw, www.thefirstage.com is
an available domain address), but I'd like to explore the possibility of a
homemade theme as well.  I haven't read the Black company books, but I guess I
can go get one from the library (Kevin please recommend the best one, based on
what you know of my predilections) and read it on the bus and whatnot.

Basing the mud on some other series isn't something I'd be really into, unless
it was Mervyn Peake's Gormenghast trilogy, which I adore, but I think someone
may have tried that already.  Anyway, at least go read the first book Titus
Groan.  I predict that Jon likes it better than Kevin does, and that Craig may
like it best of all, but I could be wrong.  Anyway, the descriptions are the
kind you get lost in - they either hypnotize you or make you yawn.  If it's the
former, you can really vividly imagine the mansion and daily life inside....

As for some homemade theme, I'm partial to a Tolkienish/D&D sort of thang, but
that's so overdone.  I'd rather do something more original.  Settings that
appeal to me are ancient Greece, post-Roman and medieval England, 19th century
France (especially Paris and all those crazy artists/poets), and high Aztec and
Inca cultures.  Outer space is also a major turn-on.

One of the things I want out MUD to have is a really well-thought out magic
system if we have wizards.  One thing that I think is really lacking in T2T is
the ability to specialize in a particular discipline of magic.  If we do
something non-Tolkienish, I really want to make a lot of psionic type spells.
Alright now I'm babbling, but my votes are:

1) 1st age Arda but discuss homemade theme ideas
2) some other book?  blah, I want my Sons of Feanor clans :p