[beleriand] Re: losing stats

  • From: Jon Bender <jbender@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: beleriand@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 02:23:53 -0500

On Sat, Mar 30, 2002 at 02:11:52PM -0800, Julia Green wrote:
> Here's something I thought up awhile back to use instead of having 'other'
> skills that decay at a steady rate.
>
> Once you reach the very top of your profession and can go no further, you
> must use your skills regularly to keep them honed, or they will fall by a max
> of 5% from disuse.  T2T example:  maxed warrior idles in guildhall, never
> fights anything or repairs armour, so his tactics and other prof skills will
> degrade from disuse down to 95 and then stop.  The techiniques he has learned
> will stay with him forever, but in order to stay at the top of his game, he
> needs to use those skills regularly.
>
> We could instead allow players to get skills over 100 (up to 105 or 110) not
> by training, only by use, which degrade a regular rate.
>
> To do this, we need to avoid having lame skills that never get used (like 6th
> sense).
>
> Thoughts?

  I kinda like this idea (the first one).  I don't see any
harm in doing both of them though, since there probably
wouldn't be that many instances of skills going above 100.
If it gets to be a problem, we can always force people to
use their skills twice as much for them to go over 100. :)

Here's something else I was thinking about, with stats:

  Instead of doing it the way t2t does it, letting you train
your stats up to 100, lets do the stats 1-20, rolled when
you create your character.

Say I end up with:
int:    12
str:    15
wis:    13
chr:    11
dex:    14
con:    12

  Now, realistically, if I don't try to maintain these stats,
they're going to go down.  If I sit on my arse all day, my
str, dex and con will drop.  So we put in the concept that
the character is always practicing, whether he's online or
off.  So whats to stop me from deciding to not worry about
my strength so much, and spend more time concentrating on my
intelligence?  I say we let people do this, let them change
some settings that tells their character not to worry about
keeping up their strength up so much and then use the time
saved to work on their studies.
  I was going to say that this happens while their offline,
but I think that'll just encourage people to stay off, which
we don't really want. :P

--
|jbender@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx|