[bcbirdclub] The 2011 Great Backyard Bird Count

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <rmayhorn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 00:25:57 -0500

Just a reminder that it is time again for the Great Backyard Bird Count. This
is an annual count sponsored by Audubon and the Cornell Lab of Ornithology.
Anyone can participate. The count begins this Friday the 18th and lasts through
Monday the 21st. You can count birds in your backyard, your neighborhood or any
area you like for as long as you like. If you aren't sure of some species don't
add those to your list. You can do your count one day or all four days. To
learn about how you participate in the count go to
http://www.birdsource.org/gbbc/press/news-stories/2011-gbbc-news-release and
click on "How to Participate" in the left column.
If you do participate please go online at the above site and submit your
checklist of birds you counted. You will be asked for your zip code and after
you submit your list a red dot will appear on their national map for your
location. Let's see how many red dots we can add to their map.

I would also appreciate a copy of your birding list from the count. By
compiling the lists from the area we can see what our local bird population
looks like, but send me the list no matter where you live, and after the count
I will post a list of all of the different species counted. It will be
interesting to see how many and which species we find.

Good luck with your count,

By the way, for you beginning birders who may not recognize it, that's a House
Finch in the photo. You probably have those at your feeders.

Windows bitmap