[bcbirdclub] More Owl and Rabbit Drama

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2008 07:38:57 -0400

I got up around 6:00 this morning and flipped on the outside light. There on
its favorite perch of the cherry tree branch about twenty feet from the house
and about five feet above the ground sat one of the two adult Barred Owls. It
looked very comfortable sitting there with its soft feathers that came all the
way down its legs and over its feet. At least it appeared that way. Its feet
are not visible when it is perched.

The owl paid no attention to the house light. It was busy scanning the ground
beneath it. The ground was wet from yesterday's all day rain. After a few
moments it dropped from its perch, landed in the grass and plucked a long,
juicy earthworm from the grass. It gulped the worm down in about two seconds. I
watched it consume ten worms in about three minutes, as it hopped-flew three or
four feet at a time to grab another worm. Part of that time was spent looking
around for the next tidbit.

It then flew back to its favorite perch and sat looking in all directions. It
was about that time that a fully grown rabbit with the luckiest rabbit foot
ever hopped out of the shadows and began to feed on the grass. The two were
only twenty-five feet apart, and there was no doubt that they saw each other.
The owl stared at the rabbit and the rabbit fed as if unconcerned. The owl went
back to scanning the ground beneath it, but each time the rabbit hopped, the
owl's head would turn instantly in that direction, and it would stare intently
for fifteen or twenty seconds. After a couple of minutes of this the owl
suddenly lifted from its perch and flew in the opposite direction from the
rabbit. It half circled the yard and headed into the woods and into the
darkness. The rabbit continued to eat.

According to the Audubon Encyclopedia of North American Birds, Barred Owls eat
mice, red and gray foxes, flying squirrels, minks, opossums, weasels, rabbits,
shrews, bats, doves, grouse, quail, small owls, Purple Gallinules, flickers,
kingfishers, crows, jays, cardinals and other birds. It doesn't mention
earthworms as part of their diet.

When foxes, opossums and rabbits are mentioned it must mean that juveniles are
taken, or that the owls must have to be really hungry to try for an adult. I
have seen this owl, or its mate interact with all three of those species
several times and never attempt an attack. I think we have more to learn about
these mysterious fellows.

Buchanan County