[bcbirdclub] Loggerhead Shrike

  • From: "Richard Kretz" <fatcatz33@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Buchanan Co Bird Club" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Bristol Birds" <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 19:33:20 -0500

For the past three winters a Loggerhead Shrike periodically arrives at my
feeders. He doesn't eat from the feeders, he just enjoys terrorizing the
finches. He showed-up yesterday morning while it was still snowing and stayed
around for about an hour. Also, the daggone Starlings and R-W BBs have been
flocking in and devouring my dog's food to the extent I've had to take it up.
Below are photos from yesterday of the Shrike and a Starling freezing his
Richard Kretz
Lebanon (Elk Garden area), Russell Co., VA

Loggerhead Shrike

European Starling with dog food crumbs still on its beak...

JPEG image

JPEG image