[bcbirdclub] Hawks, Fox Sparrows and an Owl

  • From: "Roger Mayhorn" <mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BCBC Listserve" <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 14:58:51 -0500

Hi All,
Just after daylight this morning I looked out to see a Cooper's Hawk under our
gooseberry bush. It seemed intent on flushing some birds. It circled the bush a
couple of times, then ran to an azalea bush to try again. It had no luck. After
running around the yard a couple of times like a chicken, it flew onto the low
branch of a cherry tree, then flew back to the ground under the feeders.
Suddenly it flew off into the woods. Not more than ten seconds later a
Red-shouldered Hawk flew into the yard and took its regular perch in a tree at
the edge of the yard. It sat there for awhile before also flying into the woods.

There are still 5 Fox Sparrows feeding in the yard, and along with the
Red-wings five Grackles have joined the group.

Last night the Barred Owl was back in the yard. I wonder if it might be feeding
young now.

The Gray Foxes are still coming for their nightly treats.