[bcbirdclub] Golden Eagles - Russell County, Virginia

  • From: Thomas Hunter <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: buchanan co bc <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, virginia birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 16:01:32 -0800 (PST)

Today, I was out and about doing the GBBC counts. I worked 3 different areas
including my own backyard. On the Clifton Farms Road area of the count I saw 2
perched Golden Eagles. They were both adults. They were perched within 3 feet
of each other. The most striking thing was the size difference. One looked to
be 50% larger than the other. I had noticed another pair perched close to each
other on our January fieldtrip and there was a large size difference. I know
the females are larger(according to some sources 1/4 to 1/3) but this seemed
disproportionate. I know that Red-tailed Hawks perching together usually
indicates courtship or mated pairs. Could this be the same for eagles? If they
are a mated pair could they stay together all year? According to my research
they are monogamous and may mate for life. All in all it was an interesting day.

Tom

Tom & Laverne Hunter
Russell County Bird Club
Lebanon, VA