From: bcbirdclub-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:bcbirdclub-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Roger Mayhorn
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2008 10:07 AM
To: bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bcbirdclub] Re: Crow at the feeder

David,

In the 30+ years I have been feeding birds here on the mountain I have never
had a crow on a feeder, though I have had them frequently walking around the
yard.

Don and Dawn Carrier in Bristol have crows that come in regularly to eat
with the birds on the ground near their feeders. Maybe Don can tell us if he
has had any actually on his feeders.

I had 3 Fox Sparrows feeding on the ground yesterday. I'm hoping that at
least one of them shows up today for the count. I also had one female Purple
Finch and a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.

It seems strange that you have a Yellow-rump eating suet. I suppose that we
just don't think of warblers doing that. Of course at our elevation of a
little over 2400 feet we don't have them around our place in winter. Of
course it may have nothing to do with elevation, but more with a food source
they prefer. Insects are more active at the lower elevations during warmer
winter days.

By the way, I would appreciate getting a copy of the list of birds counted
this week-end from everyone for our growing database.

Roger Mayhorn

Compton Mt