[bcbirdclub] Re: Crow at the feeder

  • From: "Cheryl Thompson" <thompsone@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 13:04:02 -0500

I was telling Roger and Lynda the other day I had a crow that had acquired a
taste for the black oil seeds.

Mamaw has fed the crows for years... She says she has to feed them or they get
into her garbage bin... She feeds them corn bread and other scraps... She says
they even love apple peelings.

I ran out of feed a couple months back and my sister picked up a bag of mixed
seed for me, until I could pick up my black oil seed... My feed isn't anywhere
near where Mamaw feeds the cows, but I saw a crow coming to the mixed seed... I
assumed he was coming for the cracked corn... Now, that I have just the black
oil seeds out, he/she is still coming... He doesn't bully the other birds... He
waits till the little birds leave and then eats... Btw, the seed isn't in a
feeder... Is in on a platform and deck railing.

Cheryl
    From: mayhorn@xxxxxxxxxxxx
    To: bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 10:07:01 -0500

    David,
    In the 30+ years I have been feeding birds here on the mountain I have
never had a crow on a feeder, though I have had them frequently walking around
the yard.
    Don and Dawn Carrier in Bristol have crows that come in regularly to eat
with the birds on the ground near their feeders. Maybe Don can tell us if he
has had any actually on his feeders.

    I had 3 Fox Sparrows feeding on the ground yesterday. I'm hoping that at
least one of them shows up today for the count. I also had one female Purple
Finch and a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker.

    It seems strange that you have a Yellow-rump eating suet. I suppose that we
just don't think of warblers doing that. Of course at our elevation of a little
over 2400 feet we don't have them around our place in winter. Of course it may
have nothing to do with elevation, but more with a food source they prefer.
Insects are more active at the lower elevations during warmer winter days.

    By the way, I would appreciate getting a copy of the list of birds counted
this week-end from everyone for our growing database.