[bcbirdclub] Cackling Geese - Stuart's Pond Russell County, VA

  • From: Thomas Hunter <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, buchanan co bc <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 09:06:40 -0800 (PST)

This morning I stopped at Stuart's Pond at about 10:30 AM. There was a small
group of geese on the pond. Among them were at least 4 Cackling Geese. There
was a nice variety of sizes represented in the group. There were some huge
Canada Geese and also some that were not as large. The Cakling Geese were
identified by their smaller size, small bill and rounded head. I have attached
a couple of photos, Notice the size of the male Mallards compared to the
Cackling Goose.

Tom

Tom & Laverne Hunter
Russell County Bird Club