[bcbirdclub] A congregation of eagles - Russell County, VA

  • From: Thomas Hunter <opiehunter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bristol Birds <bristol-birds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, buchanan co bc <bcbirdclub@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, virginia birds <va-bird@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 16:13:18 -0800 (PST)

I went out this morning to look for Golden Eagles around the county. I found 8
Golden Eagles including 4 in one group. They were 4 juveniles and at the
distance I was observing
appeared strikingly similar. I saw them in Corn Valley on the ridge on the
north side. I watched them for 10 minutes or longer. They would all land
together then 2 would spread their wings and lift effortlessly off the ground
and soar around the other 2 and then drop back to earth. Another combination
would lift off then settle again. All four would take to the air and glide
along the ridgeline. A beautiful sight. During this show there was another
Golden on the South side of the valley. I also spotted 1 with less white on
tail and underwings at the intersection of Route 80 and Elk Garden Road. There
were 2 adult Golden Eagles on Clifton Farms Road along House and Barn Mountain.
I am assuming that 4 Golden Eagles together equals a congregation or a
convocation.
Other observations:
1 Rough-legged Hawk (Rt 80 and Elk Garden Road)
2 Loggerhead Shrikes (Green Valley Road)
1 Red-shouldered Hawk (Corn Valley)
1 Eastern Screech Owl (Mountain Road)

Tom

Tom & Laverne Hunter