[bactttoma] Victorian Transport Meetings I had with minister and opposition transport spokespersons report.

  • From: steven taylor <steven_taylor10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bactttoma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 10:50:36 +1000

Hi folks.

Here it is finished at last.

It needs to be pointed out here, we are in an election year here in Victoria.

Politicians on all sides of politics have been known to look after number one
even to disregard the policies of their own parties, just in the attempt to
hold their seats in parliament.

We should all therefore be cautious about things said, promises made, and most
importantly of all, if the politicians tell you they never said this or that,
they may have said something to somebody, and then turn around and say
something completely different take Gordon Brown the British Prime Ministers
latest example.

So the report appears to be short in content, but I am under instructions not
to disclose to much of what was said, after all, I don't need off list private
email saying Steven he told me he never said this to you.

In truth, we picked the worst year to raise the transport issues, everyone
throughout the industry is looking after themselves they want to be either
elected and or re-elected at the next state election.

To put it another way, the unions want labor elected, the stake holders don't
care less, the ptua here is on the public record of saying they want an
alternative government etc.  I hope you are getting the picture.

Ok so here is the report, my sincere apologies if list members of the vip-l
list think it's outside the scope of this list, I will only take part in
discussions either privately or on the bactttoma list.

Two meetings took place on Tuesday 27/04/2010.

One was with the current Victorian transport minister and the other was with
the opposition spokesperson for Victorian transport.

Three issues were raised at each meeting.

In short, I got little joy or policy out of the opposition transport

We discussed, audio announcements, station access, and last minute changes to
departures for v-line trains.

I sat there for an hour asking questions and listening to answers.

Regardless of my political views, I found this persons answers nothing but

He made no attempt to say he researched anything I was asking him, seemed to
have no policies, and seemed to think I was completely wrong about the
meaningless tactile at Southern Cross even though I had a detailed map showing
where it goes which is nowhere.

He pretended to care about the audio announcements, he was only interested in
the lift situation at the city loop.

Don't hold your breath, if he is elected, he said, he would fix this he had
contact with the wheel chair groups and he would fix it if he was elected as
transport minister.

He ranted on about myki the new ticketing system for 20 minutes of the meeting,
and this was despite me telling him politely, I didn't need to use the
ticketing system on account I have a national travel pass.

Oh he said myki is gone if he is elected and he said he would conduct a
thorough inquiry in to how the money was wasted in the first place.

If this person wants my vote, he will need to show a little more concern for
serious issues like the ones I raised.

I should point out here, my current state member of parliament is labor but no
I didn't vote for him personally.

The meeting with the minister was a little more joyful.

Whether I agree with his political views or not, by the way, I have not decided
who I am voting for in the next state election here, I did manage to make
somewhat I hope is serious progress with existing audio announcements, to put
this correctly, the lack thereof.

The minister showed really genuine interest in fact I will go on public record
anywhere and any time to say he was genuinely disturbed.

The last thing he wanted and this is my words not his was people who are blind
stranded and his office having to front civil courts for damages.

My daughter was with me in both meetings and I trust her judgement.  If she
says to me he looked disturbed, then I'll back her all the way.

He certainly sounded extremely disturbed anyway.

He promises he will do everything in his powers to look at this issue and
permanently fix it for good.

Now having said that, no commitment was made as to how long we will have to
wait for him to look at the audio announcements issue or to "fix it for good
permanently" but he said this sincerely enough so hopefully, this happens
sooner rather than later.

He was puzzled at the tactile going nowhere, said that he would make an inquiry
but committed to nothing else.

He said money was a problem and the loop couldn't be improved right now.

Want my 2 cents worth, it's not on their priority list.

As for v-line last minute changes, I got the worst excuse I have ever heard and
I have heard some real doozies from v-line themselves.

The excuse isn't worth repeating it was rubbish a 2 year old would have told
him so.

Ok so for the next step.

The next step is that I have yesterday received a letter from the Victorian
Equal Opportunities Commission, for what they call an initial conciliation
hearing taking place May 25, 2010.

Advice I have received says I need at least 2 issues and no more for this

The letter tells me that people from various parts of the Victorian Transport
industry will be there.

After careful consideration and talking to people in the know, I am going to
hammer the audio announcements issue as the first issue.

As for the second issue and here is where I now need your help please.

I need to know please if any of you are using train stations, tram stops or bus
stops where there are no tactile ground indicators.

I need please a description of these locations and I need these descriptions to
come from Victorian blind residents.

You do not have to include any personal details, although your first name and
surname would be helpful please.

As I am totally blind, my preference is braille correspondents, but if you
can't braille it, hard copy print from a printer is the preference please.  And
please keep the fonts as plain as possible.

So the second issue will be the lack of tactile indicators.

I hate to ask but I need a letter from Vision Australia and Blind Citizens
Australia please as well.

This letter needs to say why tactile indicators are necessary and what the
benefits of tactile indicators are to people who are blind or vision impaired.

I need all this correspondents please by  no later than May 21 this year.

Yes, it is the worst year to get these issues fixed, but if the Victorian
community are serious, we need these issues fixed and as soon as possible.

I can't talk about my next course of action should I not get this
correspondents or the conciliation's hearing fails and or both.

I have a fair idea what I will do in the event if one or the other or both do
not happen, but I will wait to see how this action goes first.

I am not asking for finances folks, however, please be aware, this is going to
cost me a considerable amount especially if the conciliation's actions fail.

I really do please please need your letters of support please.

My home address is.

Steven Taylor.

U11/44-50 Phillip Street
Melton South Victoria 3338 Australia.

If you need help with the wording of the letters, despite my poor grammar, I
can help you at least with what types of descriptions I need in your letters.

You can call me on the following phone numbers.

Home.  03 9 7 4 7 8 0 6 7.

Mobile.  04 07 3 0 7 1 1 1.

You can email me at.

I thank you all in advance for your correspondents and continuing support.