[bactttoma] Metro Trains Victoria in dispute with union over waving white flag when train departs platform

  • From: steven taylor <steven_taylor10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bactttoma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 07:52:21 +1000

Hi folks.

People are going to say how is this blindness related given  the majority of
blind people can't see a white flag to begin with.

The latest dispute is over Metro Trains and the Unions not being able to agree
about waving a white flag.

The white flag was initially a trial, but Metro Trains felt it was
unprofessional and made the whole service look like a puffing billy service.

Well, here's my message to Metro Trains and the Unions.

Do any of them think it would be much better if there were on platform and in
train audio announcements to tell us when a train is departing.

The are arguments both ways about the white flag issue, personally, I don't
care less if it comes back or not, but my 2 cents says it should be a yellow
flag enyway easier to see.

But whilst you're having your arguments, do you think you can introduce audio
announcements across all yourmetro platforms to let us know when the train is

And do you think you can give us audio announcements in the train to tell us
when the train is departing, oh yes the beeps sound when the doors close, but
an audio announcement after the beeps inside the train would be nice.

And whilst we are at it, do you think you could fit hearing loops to all your
trains and all your train stations, this would help people who were deaf/blind.

What a ridiculous argument this is either way.

Make the flag yellow, bring it in, and bring in audio announcements as well if
you really care about safety of passengers, because I am starting to wonder if
you actually do care.

Steven Taylor.