[bactttoma] Making television accessible

  • From: steven taylor <steven_taylor10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bactttoma@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 06:47:27 +1000

Hi folks.

There are several ways of making television more accessible.

Insure you have a good note taking device.

Insure you have a sighted assistant who can carefully explain an onscreen
layout.

Insure you find a remote control which is easy to use, navigate and understand.

Insure you have an accessible tv program guide.

The best one is yourtv.com.au

Audio Described Television.

Unfortunately, this is not possible yet due to technical factors most of which
I don't understand, so I won't post here because I don't want to lead you down
the garden path.

Read your favourite program guide either online or through email.

With yourtv.com.au you can personalise the tv guide.

My only complaint about this site is if you sign up to the email option, they
send you emails containing graphics.

I have written to the webmasters asking for a text only email version of tv
programs, so far I have no response, might take a leaf out of somebodies
correspondents I got privately yesterday.

Television stations can sometimes make a last minute switch in programming.

Some sites have the ability for you to have sms reminders sent to your mobile
phone.

One of these sites is tv1.com.au

This is a foxtel channel and can only be viewed if you have a subscription to
foxtel pay tv.

9msn.com.au also has this service, sorry, I can't find one for any other free
to heir stations yet.

Another option which is quite tedious in my view is to scan the local
television guide found in most newspapers.

This option should only be used if you have a really good o c r package, as
newspaper print is very small.

Vision Australia radio will sometimes read television guides.

My experience with this is they only read free to heir stations programs.

Check your local Vision Australia or rph radio for the print handicapped radio
station if they have this service.

Once upon a time, Vision Australia radio had a telephone service where you
could listen to a recorded tv guide.

I don't know if this still exists, if it does, it's not listed on any Vision
Australia web page.

Hth.

Cheers.

Steven.