[AZ-Observing] First attempt at Neptune naked-eye

  • From: Brian Skiff <Brian.Skiff@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 02:31:35 -0700 (MST)

     I had the opportunity tonight to spend some time looking at
the field including Neptune in Capricornus.  I first plotted the
planet on the Tirion atlas then looked quickly with 6x30mm binoculars
to see that this was correct.  The planet is well placed in the sense
of being uncrowded and within an asterism of convenient stars so that
further reference to the atlas was unnecessary.
     In brief, I couldn't see it.  A star presently not far southeast
of the planet, HD 202890, was visible on numerous occasions.  This
is a K0 giant with V=6.9.  I also got more intermittent glimpses of
nearby 31 Cap, at V=7.1.  Neptune, at V=7.7, I think won't be visible
from this latitude until it gets north of the Equator.  Gonna have
to wait awhile!  It ought to be straightforward with patience from
Chile or elsewhere in the south.

\Brian