<USS Avalon> The Calling of the Spider (part 2)

  • From: TKilyle@xxxxxxx
  • To: avalon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 07:42:52 EST

The  Calling of the Spider (part 2)
by K'etrall, Mary  O'Donnell, Patrick 'Mac' McEntire, Mir'ast'hera, Joshua
Garrity, & Li  Vilya

K'etrall started to  run a diagnostic on some of the gel packs when she
noticed something unusual.  She scanned it again reading the results. Oh Shit
this
can't be true?  She had to tell someone but who. The most logical choice would
be the captain  but of course he was busy. She decided she would tell the
closet person and let  them handle it. Taking her PADD and tricorder she walked
up to Ensign  O'Donnell.

She whispered so the  spider lady wouldn't worry, "Ensign, we appear to have
a problem. One of the gel  packs has been infected." She showed her the PADD
and tricorder results. "I  don't know how it happened but it will soon infect
the other gel packs if  something isn't done and then the ship will start to
malfunction big time. Just  thought I would give you the good news since you
looked bored." K'etrall just  smiled evilly.

Staring at the person it  had seemingly appeared from nowhere, Mary thought
this was incredulous. Her jade  eyes flashed and she hissed, "In room of
engineers and the Captain, you come to  a member of Security with this
information?
Are you deranged?"

K'etrall  just laughed at the security officer. "I have been called a lot of
things but I  don't think deranged is one of them. I realize that this is
engineering, I am an  engineer, however Lieutenants Garrity and Li are not
here. I
thought you would  be able to get the information to Mac easier than I could.
I don't especially  want to let on to Ms. Spider that I think the she is the
reason for the  contamination. However if you would prefer....never mind I
will go back to the  gel packs and see what I can do."

Going back to the gel  packs K'etrall found that the infection was spreading.
This was beyond her scope  of knowledge. She decided it would be best to
inform one of the other engineers.  Taking the PADD with the information on it
she
wandered out into main  engineering and made her way over to Lieutenant
McEntire. "Lieutenant, I have  been monitoring the gel packs and it appears as
if
something has infected them.  At first it was only one pack but now the
infection is starting to spread. I  thought you might want to handle the
situation
yourself."  She handed the  PADD of information to Lieutenant McEntire and then
returned to her  hole.

Mac looked at  the PADD in his hand and shook his head. "Oh, shit..." he
whispered as he  read it through quickly. "Jericho, Prater, Garrity,
Muslich...come on...we've  got a problem..." He considered calling Josh back,
then realized
it'd be better  to let him and Vilya finish it up and get their visitor off
the ship. Just in  case. No way they had an escape pod big enough to house her.
He headed over to  the others, thinking they could come up with a way to halt
the infection before  it spread any further.

Sensing this might be a  good time to move their guest along Mary looked up
at the spider, "Mir'ast'hera,  is there anywhere else you would like to visit?"

Hearing the redheaded  biped addressing her Mir'a bobbed slightly, "I'd like
to check on the repairs to  my vessel."

"Very well." She tapped  her comm badge, "Transporter Chief, could you beam
myself and our guest to the  shuttle bay please." Moments later they both
shimmered out of engineering  leaving it far less confined.

Materialising  in the shuttle bay Mary heard noises coming from the alien
craft. "Anybody  available to talk?"

Vilya raised one slim auburn  brow and looked right at Josh.  "You're the
boss.  You go and explain  your educational opportunities."

"Um..." he glanced at the door  and shook his head. "... no.... you go ...
I'll .... um ... supervise ... stuff  ... " He almost laughed, though he
quickly
buttoned up the last of the consoles,  gathered his tools, and headed off as
quickly as he could.

Vilya gave the man a friendly  glare then stepped outside.  "Just you wait,
Joshua Garrity.  My son's  first words to you are going to be 'why' and 'how
come'."

Mary looked puzzled, "Does he  always do that?"

Vilya shook her head fondly,  making her earring jingle.  "And then some."

Strange man.  "Lieutenant, our guest expressed an interest in how the work on
her vessel was  going."

Vilya looked at the creature's  face(that was its face, wasn't it?) and held
out a PADD.  "Lieutenant  Garrity and I repaired the craft and added some
educational  opportunities."

Mir'ast'hera bobbed at the  woman, "Educational opportunities?"

Garrity, I'm going to kill  you.  "The repairs that were needed were made but
our Chief Engineer and I  made some improvements.  Unfortunately, we're
forbidden by our Prime  Directive to actually do them, even if it makes the
craft
safer and more up to  date, so we've left the upgrades in place but the PADD
doesn't indicate how they  were performed.  That will be up to you and your
engineers to figure it  out."

Mary bit her tongue and looked  at the Bajoran in disbelief. The Arachnid
accepted the PADD, "Would you thank  your Chief for me when you see him again?"

Vilya stared back at the ensign,  daring her to say something.  Since nothing
was forthcoming, which was wise  considering the company, she faced the
visitor and nodded.  "Of  course.  I'm sure Lieutenant Garrity will be quite
pleased."

Mary looked from one to the  other and then the lights dimmed suddenly in the
shuttle bay, "Okay, that  doesn't bode well. Any ideas what to do next
ladies?"

Vilya frowned.  Her  immediate idea was 'run away...quickly' was squashed in
favor of tapping her  comm badge.  "Captain, have we approached our guest's
home world yet?   Now might be a good time."