atw: Why should we list multilingual web pages in their own language?

  • From: Xmplar <info@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 19:49:25 +1100

When looking at web pages that are served up in several languages, I know that it is 'best practice' to list each language in their own language, such as:

English, Deutsch, Français, Español and so on.

But what is the internationalisation recommendation or standard that suggests technical documentation follows this convention? Is there such a 'god' statement somewhere that justifies why we should follow this best practice?

Thanks,
--
*Dave Gardiner*, MISTC