atw: Re: was: Another "rates" query

  • From: "bja" <bashley@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2003 11:47:34 +1100

There will never be any tangible benefits from a national body UNTIL a
national body is set up. As to local flavour, every national body easily
overcomes these issues by allowing some 'state flavour' in websites,
publications and local variations to rules etc because of differing state
legislations.

The tyranny of distance is also just as relevant to someone who refuses to
go to Sth Melb because they live in Lilydale as it is to those refusing to
go to Sydney because they live in Melbourne. Refusal to go is refusal to go.

I happily interact with the ASTCV (on the rare occasion that I need to) via
email and the web, not by going to VTR which I am against.

As to amalgamation, associations can be merged the same as companies can and
I cannot see any current issues of 'sovereignty' that should cause a concern
because the states would effectively run as they are now except under the
national banner.

Oh, and the ASTCV website leaves a lot to be desired.

In regards to your summation:

> Perhaps what would be the most pragmatic objective to aim for is ever
> improving COOPERATION between our clans, rather than simply
> tumbling down
> the amalgamation and centralization path, which usually only
> leads to a
> deep, dark and scary forest of conflicting personal priorities.
>
> A bit of food for thought?

This has been the guiding principle of the ASTCs for years and where has it
got us? Time to try something new I think, and more importantly, it's
probably time to take it to the members so that the "views of some very
vocal and very tiny minorities" (such as you and I) are not the only voices
heard.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one Michael (I'll get my
gloves out ready for Thursday:)).

Cheers,

Bruce Ashley
Senior Technical Writer
Preston Aviation Solutions Pty Ltd      Website:  http://www.preston.net
488 Victoria Street                     email: bashley@xxxxxxxxxxx
Richmond VIC 3121                       Ph:    +61 3 9426 8213
Australia                               Fax:   +61 3 9427 1969
Setting the standard in software solutions for the global aviation industry,
utilising advanced simulation, scheduling, optimisation and visualisation
technology.
A subsidiary of The Boeing Company