atw: Re: technical writers/editors in Melbourne

  • From: "Matthew da Silva" <mdasilva@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2008 09:12:46 +1000

Hi Siri -

Subcontinental communities are found in the Blacktown area of Sydney.
This is where Frank Lowy of Westfield started. His company is now the
largest retail developer globally. Remember also that 40 per cent of
Sydney's population was born overseas. This is higher than the national
average (30%) but it's probably the same in Melbourne.

I'm not sure about the other capitals.

Under the previous government, immigration on an annual basis grew from
about 100,000 to about 160,000. This is where it is still sitting, but
everyone expects this to grow further under the new government.

Last night I heard a talk by the newly appointed editor-in-chief of the
Economist magazine (John Micklethwait). He repeatedly noted that
Australia's economy was bucking a global trend, which is leaning toward
the recessionary end, performance-wise. Of course he put this down to
China exports, so what the WA guys say is true.

I heard on the radio that London property prices had started to fall.
This is also happening here, in Sydney, but it's localized.

Sydney rents went up by about 25 per cent in the first three months of
the year, and they are expected to increase a lot more over the next few
years. The housing market has been soft for the last four years - this
is not true in WA, Brisbane and Melbourne - but they predict it will
lift soon.

Hope this helps

Matt