atw: Re: return to work with ABI

  • From: Peter Martin <peterm_5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 11:07:43 +1000

slinka:
On Sun, 29 Jun 2008 10:28:27 +1000,  you wrote:

Sorry, I but I'd hate to think your response might be taken as a valid=
 general reaction.

> Technical writing is one of the most brain oriented jobs in the=
 marketplace.

Not sure precisely what you mean by "brain oriented"  here, given the brain=
 has a whole
series of functions, some of involve intellectual activity, some perception,=
 some
physical coordination etc. etc..

> I couldn't get a job as a tech writer if I said I was brain damaged.

Whereas you probably would probably qualify suitably as a manager, and=
 no-one would
notice?  :-)

> So sadly, this brother may not be capable of doing it anymore.

Well you really don't know, do you ?    And while you go through a bit of a=
 "ragbag" of
possibilities of the effects of brain damage, (which aren't comprehensive) I=
 don't think
you're at all justified in the pessimism you display to this idea.

Think about it a bit more.  If I said I'd just recovered from a stroke, it=
 wouldn't sound
quite the same, would it ?  But it would be exactly the same in reality, and=
 is accepted
in many workplaces without question. A stroke involves brain damage, and=
 many people
recover quite effectively from its effects.

-Peter M
=A0peterm_5@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx =A00408249113
=A0