atw: Re: return to work with ABI

  • From: "slinka" <slinka@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2008 10:28:27 +1000

Technical writing is one of the most brain oriented jobs in the marketplace.

I couldn't get a job as a tech writer if I said I was brain damaged.

So sadly, this brother may not be capable of doing it anymore.

But it really does depend on the nature of the impairment.  You have to
figure out that first...

Is it inability to concentrate? Does he forget words?
If so, he can't do the job, but still, this condition might improve later,
especially with some therapy.

Is the speech centre damaged?
Maybe he could do it if it's a job where he doesn't have to interview people
and verbally gather requirements.

Is it sensitivity to bright lights? Emotional panic?  Tiredness dizziness?
Does he just look funny?
These things could be overcome with a bit of cooperation and sympathy.

If there is an agency involved (is it a government agency?) they obviously
need to do some work first, to find out what the impairment is.  Or somebody
else needs to observe and define the person's condition.

Otherwise the proposition is totally unrealistic.

I don't wish to sound harsh.
I wish this brother lots of luck and not to underestimate the amount of
healing and adaptation that can occur over time.