atw: Re: quantum leap - sudden change from one energy state to another

  • From: "Michael Lewis" <mlewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2005 15:53:54 +1000

Brian:

> While in theory, what you aver may be true, the examples we have been
misusing -
> steep learning curve, quantum leap, negative feedback, vanilla - are all
capable of being
> replaced by words that meet my triple dictum, simultaneously, and don't
require
> reference to abstruse dictionaries.

True, at least to a point -- but I read your previous post as a generalisation
that
went beyond these specific usages.

And let's face it: the reason that these usages (abominable as they are) have
caught on is that they are apparently plain and simple. Deceptively so, but
that's
precisely the problem . . .

Michael Lewis

Brandle Pty Limited, Sydney, Australia