atw: Re: Youse

  • From: Nick Shears <nshears@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 15:04:17 -0800

I hear "youse" in Brisbane, where I live, occasionally. But a friend from
Rockhampton says he hears it there all the time.

I spent much of my youth in South Africa, where it was quite common, but looked
down on. Like many other languages, Afrikaans has different words for the
singular and plural form of "you", so there was probably some osmosis into the
local English dialect.

Nick