atw: Re: Youse

  • From: "Geoffrey" <geoffrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 08:32:58 +1100

Ken, you’ve really got to get out of Canberra a bit more. Or maybe leave your
leafy street and pop down to Fyshwick.

Geoffrey Marnell

Principal Consultant

Abelard Consulting Pty Ltd

P: 03 9596 3456

M: 0419 574 668

F: 03 9596 3625

W:  <http://www.abelard.com.au/> www.abelard.com.au

From: Geoffrey <geoffrey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Charles, many thanks for your comments, but my experiences differ, at least in
part, from yours.

I spent a bit of time around the Temple Bar area of Dublin, and in the cafes
surrounding Dublin's Trinity College, and I heard "youse" quite often. Often
enough to make to stop and listen and ponder. I also heard it in Kilkenny.
Perhaps it is not so common elsewhere in Ireland, or perhaps our chronologies
are different. (My exposure to Irish English occurred in 2006. Might it be that
we are talking about quite different times?)

I have not been to Liverpool, but I have met scores of Liverpudlians and in
many countries. Their frequent, and unselfconscious, use of "youse" led me to
think that it must be quite common in their homeland.

I am reinforced in my generalisations by the observations of other
language-watchers. For example, the second edition of Pocket Fowler's Modern
English Usage, published by Oxford University Press in 2008, has this to say:

“yous, youse are regional and dialectal forms of you (plural). In Britain they
are associated especially with the speech of Glasgow and Liverpool, and they
occur in American, Australian, and New Zealand literature …” (p. 663).

And in The Language Wars: A History  of Proper English (John, Murray, 2011),
Henry Hitches writes:

“Today’s yous, widely heard in Ireland, and youse, heard on Merseyside [that
is, in and around Liverpool] and in Australia, revive and make explicit the
difference between the plural you and the singular (p. 41).”

You mention the prevalence of youse in  Lancashire. Lancashire happens to abut
Merseyside, so I’m not surprised that you heard “youse” in Lancashire if it was
common in Liverpool.

I was intrigued to read in Pam Peters’s The Cambridge Guide to Australian
English Usage (2007, p. 878) that yous made it into the Oxford Dictionary in
1989, some 16 years before it made it into The Macquarie Dictionary. And you
will also see it in Webster’s, the bible of American English.

As I predicted in earlier austechwriter threads, “youse” is on the march. It
will probably be standard English in 100 years. You might as well get used to
it. Long may it live.

Cheers

Geoffrey Marnell

Principal Consultant