atw: Re: Youse

  • From: "Michael Lewis" <Michael.Lewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 16:26:44 +1100

Terry Dowling:

> I know of a lot of folk who are a lot smarter than me, but whose English
> is crap.

Define "crap". If you were to write a user guide for a violent video game aimed
at a teenage market in the same language as you would use for a high-end
digital camera, your teenage readers would surely describe your writing as
"crap".

> I'm saying that rather than all of us moving to the lowest common
> denominator as it seems you would prefer, those of us who are
> professional writers should comply with commonly accepted rules, as
> decreed by commonly accepted authorities such as whatever dictionary we
> choose and whatever style manual or other guides we may choose. At least
> if some of us get things "right", others may be able to learn. That way
> more folk may be able to improve their skills rather than deskilling the
> rest of us.

I've seen no evidence that Geoffrey wants to move to the lowest common
denominator. He simply acknowledges that language is mutable.

> The best way of communicating is using the best and most appropriate
> word for your meaning.

If word choice is all you are going to think about, you are not going to
communicate effectively. Language is more than words; it's also principles for
constructing clauses, sentences, paragraphs, and texts.

> "non-standard" is dictionary speak for that word you don't use for language.

No; it's an implicit acknowledgement that English, and probably every other
language on the planet, exists in multiple forms called dialects or sociolects.
Only one dialect / sociolect gets termed "standard", but that doesn't stop
people from other social groups using their own form of the language. Being
non-standard doesn't make those other forms incorrect.

> I really think that you are starting to enter weasel-word territory when
> you don't like 'wrong' or 'incorrect'. Ask an English teacher if there
> are rights and wrongs in language. Maybe there are fewer in
> communcations.

English teachers are precisely those people who perpetuated nonsense like
"Don't begin a sentence with and or but or so", "Don't split an infinitive",
"Don't end a sentence with a preposition". When they call something "incorrect"
they are, as Geoffrey says, making a category mistake.

This whole series of related threads has revealed a tragic problem in a
community of professional users of language. We should not talk about "correct"
English; we should talk about "good" English. And "good" English is not some
divinely decreed version of the language; it is whatever works best in the
immediate circumstances. "Good" English, otherwise (misleadingly) called
"plain" English, is simply "appropriate" English - nothing more, nothing less.

Michael Lewis
Lecturer
Department of Linguistics
MACQUARIE UNIVERSITY NSW 2109

Phone: +61 (0)2 9850 7856
Mobile: +61 (0)414 887782
Fax: +61 (0)2 9850 9199
www.ling.mq.edu.au

CRICOS Provider No 00002J

This message is intended for the addressee named and may contain confidential
information.  If you are not the intended recipient, please delete it and
notify the sender.  Views expressed in this message are those of the individual
sender, and are not necessarily the views of Department of Linguistics or
Macquarie University.