atw: Re: Welcome aboard, Rob : sequed towards remote work...

  • From: Allan Charlton <allancharlton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 14:50:27 +1000

Peter said
> As far as I can see, the main cause of this is that managers have no idea of how to measure productivity unless someone arrives in the office at 9 and leaves at 5 or some appropriate later time. It's a threat to managerial control somehow, apparently.

That's been my experience. I have approached a few employers and received one or other of what appear to be stock answers:
"If you're not here we can't be sure you're working"
"Nobody works from home. It's policy."

Managers get progress updates, and most of us attend project meetings - and yet they claim they don't know we're working if they can't watch us typing. I once posted a cartoon on my cubicle, in which Dilbert points out that it doesn't matter whether he's at home or in the office because the manager doesn't know if he's working when he's in the office. Management got offended and took the cartoon down, so I guess it made its point.

Allan