atw: Re: Video or step by step exercises the best way to learn?

  • From: Xmplar <info@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 20:22:44 +1100

I know that TechSmith have presented some of their research at the STC Summit, about how long videos should be to be engaging, whether viewers like background music, etc.
Matthew Pierce gave a talk in Phoenix - I might have his paper somewhere.

On 6/10/2016 10:09 AM, Janet Taylor wrote:

Does anyone know of any specific research done as to which is the best way for people to learn to use relatively complicated software?

Is it best to do an exercise using the software?
or
watch a video?

There’s obviously a lot of dependencies here, such as basic familiarity with the software (new techniques will be easier to learn by being shown) and the person trying to learn it.

I’m trying to define when we use video and when we use step by step exercises (as well as PowerPoints and a person talking).

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Dave