atw: Re: The next question. [Moving on from "Should we always give users what they ask for?"]

  • From: "Brian Clarke" <brianclarke01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 16:39:35 +1100

Hi Christine,

That's interesting. What you have offered in your first paragraph is the
definition of 'competency' - not of comprehension.

And then in your second paragraph, you get a bit closer. But you seem to be
assuming a strong behaviourist stance. I can think of many tasks where we may
hope for comprehension, but where there may be no observable change in
behaviour, eg, a change in emotional tone or evaluation.

So, Geoffrey's quest for a means of measuring comprehension or uptake may be
some way off.

Brian.
  From: Christine Kent

  Simple - the ability to do the job in a range of real or simulated situations.

  "Comprehension" as a word relates only to intellectual awareness.  It is only
part of any learning story.  Can the person who comprehends DO anything in a
given situation as a result of that comprehension?  Further, can they
extrapolate and apply the "comprehension" across a range of new situations.